Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Two more bodies discovered in Mpeketoni as death toll rises to 60

19 June 2014, 13:52

Nairobi - Two more bodies have been discovered near Mpeketoni as the death toll from the weekend massacre rises to 60.

The two, believed to be brothers were apparently killed Sunday after their vehicles were carjacked by the terrorists and used to ferry them into town.

They were both discovered in Witu area, Thursday morning, around three kilometres from Mpeketoni.

Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo said that the two were discovered after help by one of the suspects arrested by Police Wednesday.

" The two were brothers and owners of the two Nissan matatus that were hijacked by the thugs who comandeered them into town on the night of the attack, he said.

He also confirmed that a man hunt was on for the attackers who are believed to be hiding in the forests surrounding Mpeketoni.

" We are searching for them as we speak. We have strong intelligence that they are in the area, he added.

According to the Kenya Red Cross, the death toll via official records has now hit 60.

Further, there are still 17 bodies yet to be collected from a temporary morgue in Mpeketoni with the other 43 having already been taken by relatives for burial.

It is expected that the death toll will rise considering there are still other missing persons from the attack.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- News24

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...