Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Ngilu land case withdrawn by National Land Commision

15 May 2014, 17:45

Nairobi - The National Land Commission has withdrawn its case against Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu on the eve of the closure of registries.

Lands Commission’s lawyer Waweru Gatonye told High Court judge Isaac Lenaola that they had been instructed to with draw the case.

Gatonye and Stella Munyi, representing the Lands Cabinet Secretary had initially told court that the two teams are in talks with the Attorney General over the closure of registries dispute which marks its deadline today.

“I have been instructed to withdraw this case,” said Gatonye.

Both the Commission and Ms Ngilu were to report to court on the next cause of action having earlier reported that they were at advanced stages of discussions over the alleged dispute.

And now Ms Ngunyi said the talks had resulted to an agreement that the Ms Ngilu team should be allowed to finish what it had started and also had similar instructions of withdrawing the matter from court.

“The matter is marked as withdrawn,” said Justice Isaac Lenaola.

The said talks were determining a factor on whether the case filed by the Commission seeking an uncontrolled access to the central registry, Nairobi registry and the banking Hall to the Commission’s staff offices and the public at large at Ardhi House, would proceed to a hearing or not.

However as business at Ardhi House is meant to kick off as usual next Monday, the Commission consequently failed to stop Ms Ngilu’s decision to forge ahead with the closure of the said registries as per the notices in local daily newspapers on May 2 and 4.

The judge advised lawyers John Khaminwa and Christine Aooko who were representing the commission in a similar case to also with draw their case since it would be irrelevant to proceed as there is nothing to stop with the deadline having reached.

The judge also directed that all parties in the two suits should appear back in court to confirm that the matter had been settled internally.

Mr Khaminwa and Ms Aoko were representing businessman Benson Riitho who had moved to court on Tuesday seeking the suspension of the notices which he argued that had resulted to Ms Ngilu interfering with the Commission’s functions.

Whilst the land Commission and Mr Riitho faulted Ngilu’s decision, her actions received full back up from President Uhuru Kenyatta.

The said notices placed in local newspapers as an announcement by the lands Cabinet Secretary, the lands directorate said it had set up a programme of re-engineering land business processes with a view of reducing the turnaround time on service delivery.

The notice signed by Ngilu also said that undertaking an audit exercise and reorganization of the land registries was the first task and the lands directorate would start with the closure of registries in Nairobi from May 5 to May 16 and business resumes on May 19.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!

- News24


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...