Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Prosecutors want Kenyatta at full ICC trial

28 October 2013, 22:25

The Hague - International Criminal Court prosecutors asked judges Monday to reverse a ruling allowing President Uhuru Kenyatta to attend only parts of his trial, after a similar decision involving his deputy was overturned last week.

Appeals judges ruled on Friday that Deputy President William Ruto must attend his own crimes against humanity trial, saying Ruto could only be excused under "exceptional circumstances." The court on October 18 partially excused Kenyatta to allow him to fulfil his duties at home following a deadly attack on a Nairobi shopping mall last month.

"The prosecution submits that the trial chamber should vacate the (October 18) Kenyatta decision and revert to the general rule... that Mr Kenyatta must (also) be present during trial," chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said in an application before the court.

Kenyatta, who was elected president in March, has long said that the trial in The Hague would hamper his running of the country -- even though he has pledged his full cooperation.Prosecutors argued that the situation was the same as Ruto's, and the Kenyan president should also be instructed to be present at the whole trial, which could run up to several years.

Kenyatta and Ruto are both charged with crimes against humanity in connection with the 2007-8 post-election violence in Kenya that left over 1,000 people dead and displaced several hundred thousand. Ruto went on trial last month, becoming the highest-ranking serving official to do so before the ICC, and Kenyatta's trial is due to start on November 12.

He was briefly excused to help Kenyatta deal with last month's siege at the upmarket Westgate Mall in which at least 67 people were killed. If judges turn down the prosecution's request, an appeal will be lodged, Bensouda noted.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Man released on Presidential amne...

He was caught taking money from a church offering bag at Ol Jabet Independent Pentecostal Church in Laikipia West on October 23. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Simple lifestyle changes for a he...

Here are simple lifestyle changes for a healthy body: Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Mandera attack victims were shot ...

The attackers used IEDs to break the metallic doors of the lodge before shooting the victims. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Why he does not call your name

A slip of the tongue can happen just any time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wasike Elvis
Joshua Arap Sang declares interes...

He will be running on a Jubilee Party ticket. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Why Boniface Mwangi wants DP Ruto...

Photojournalist and activist Boniface Mwangi is now demanding for the Deputy President William Ruto’s tax returns. Read more...