Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Police hold five over Westgate massacre

29 October 2013, 15:57

Nairobi - Police are holding five people over last month's attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall, a top officer said Tuesday, adding they hoped to charge them soon.

At least 67 people were killed in the attack on the upmarket mall claimed by Al Shabaab insurgents.

Ndegwa Muhoro, head of the Criminal Investigation Department, told reporters that investigations were still ongoing into exchanges of mobile telephone text messages in the days prior to the four-day siege that began on September 21.

"We wanted to arraign five of the terrorists in court yesterday, but we have decided to first investigate an SMS exchange of the terrorists which occurred on September 17," he said.

"There are various issues which need thorough investigation, we cannot rush to court."

However, all gunmen - totalling just four, not the dozen that security forces had initially reported - are understood to have died during the attack.

"Interpol is also assisting us in the investigations, including the analysis of four bodies suspected to be of the terrorists," Muhoro said.

A telephone call was made during the attack to Norway, he added.

A Norwegian citizen of Somali origin is suspected of being one of the attackers, a 23-year-old named by media as Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow.

Norway's PST intelligence agency has said it has investigated reports about the possible involvement of a Norwegian of Somali origin in both planning and carrying out the attack, but has declined to comment if Dhuhulow was involved.

Witnesses in the mall described how the fighters stormed the crowded complex firing from the hip and hurling grenades at shoppers and staff.

The gunmen coldly executed scores of people, with witnesses recounting how in some cases they called out to those wounded, then finished them off at close range.

Meanwhile, the army chief Julius Karangi said that two soldiers have been sacked for looting stores during the massacre, with a third under investigation.

Shop owners - including a top end jewellery store as well as others selling mobile telephones, watches, cameras, expensive suits and lingerie - said their stores were completely looted.

"The allegations of KDF (Kenya Defence Force) soldiers looting are very serious and we have undertaken to carry out a thorough investigation," Karangi told reporters.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...