Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Parents seek redress over secondary school snub

16 January 2014, 11:36

Nairobi - Parents whose children failed to secure secondary school places despite sitting for last year’s Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) will next Monday present their case to the Constitutional Court.

They are seeking the courts’ redress regarding the guidance on the fate of 200,000 pupils who missed a chance to join secondary schools.

The agitated parents hold that it is the constitutional right of every student to progress with secondary education after successful completion of primary education.

The Chairperson of the Parents Association, Musau Nduda, castigated the government over its alternative that the pupils who missed secondary school admissions join local polytechnics to gain technical skills.

“There is nothing called a village school or village polytechnic. So, when somebody tells me that we take them to those institutions or whatever it is wrong. Every child must progress to the next level and the next level is secondary education,” said Ndunda.

The government earlier on in the week made selection for Form One with students expected to be reporting to their respective schools.

Parents have in the past complained about the low transition rate from primary schools to secondary schools, a situation that the government has been trying to rectify by increasing facilities to allow more intake of students to secondary schools.

The free primary education programme caused an influx of candidates who outstripped capacity of the available secondary schools.

– CAJ News

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...