Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Officials deny women kidnapped in Lamu attacks

18 June 2014, 12:35

Nairobi - Authorities on Wednesday denied reports that several women were kidnapped during the deadly militant attacks against the town of Mpeketoni and surrounding villages on the country's coast.

Several media reports, quoting local villagers, said the attackers also abducted 12 women having already killed at least 60 people in two consecutive nights of carnage.

"There were no attacks involving women, and therefore those are false reports," police chief David Kimaiyo, who is currently visiting the area, told AFP.

Another official, assistant county commissioner Benson Maisori, said investigations have so far shown that the attackers only targeted men.

"There were no such abduction cases of women. What happened is that the attackers went from house to house picking men only. They weren't targeting women at all. They only seemed to target men alone," he said.

He added that in one village the gunmen kidnapped eight men who were later found dead.

"We have seen some reports indicating that women were kidnapped, but we would like to correct that. No women were abducted. We only found a body of one woman who had been shot. We don't know under what circumstances she was shot but she succumbed to gunshot wounds while being taken to hospital," he added.

The Kenyan Red Cross, which has been collecting information on those reported missing, said it also had "no evidence" to substantiate the reports that women were kidnapped.

"The missing persons... either went into hiding or in one way or another couldn't be traced. But we can't deny or confirm any abductions," said Kenyan Red Cross Secretary General Abbas Gullet.

He added that the Red Cross currently had nine people still listed as missing, down from more than 50 missing persons reports it was treating on Tuesday.

A group of heavily-armed gunmen attacked Mpeketoni -- close to the tourist island of Lamu -- late on Sunday, and a number of eyewitnesses said they singled out non-Muslim men to be executed.

Some 15 people were initially reported killed in a nearby village the following night, although police later corrected the toll to say there were nine dead.

Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Al Shabaab rebels said they carried out the attacks in retaliation for Kenya's military presence in Somalia as well as the Kenyan government's "brutal oppression" of Muslims.

However Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday blamed "local political networks" for the killings, and said the Al Shabaab were not responsible.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...