Nearly 50 radicalized youth to surrender under amnesty
16 April 2015, 07:37
Nairobi - The government announced Wednesday that at least 49 radicalized youth are expected to surrender after it issued 10-day amnesty to those who joined Al-Shabaab militants to surrender.
Mombasa County Commissioner, Nelson Marwa told journalists in Mombasa there will be no victimization of the youth who will surrender within the grace period.
Marwa said he has received information from the local administration, chiefs and village elders in the region, saying that some youth are ready to surrender.
"We are expecting a big number of youth to surrender; currently we have a figure of about 49 whom we expect to surrender within this week," said Marwa.
Read Also: Why would radicalized youth surrender to the government?
The government administrator said all youth who surrender will be absorbed into new programs to be launched by the national government.
"We know many are afraid that they will be arrested or victimized once they surrender, but we promise to enroll them on new programs yet to be launched," he said.
The government on Tuesday announced an amnesty for youth who joined Al-Shabaab to commit terrorist activities in the country.
Poor and disgruntled Kenyan youth who joined Al-Shabaab in recent years have carried out a spate of terrorist activities in Nairobi, the country's coast and northeastern region.
Last week, Kenya police profiled the 10 Al-Shabaab returnees and released their names and photographs, seeking public support for their arrest.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!