More Kenyans evacuated from South Sudan
13 January 2014, 10:11
Nairobi - More than 40 Kenyans arrived in the country this weekend from the crisis-torn South Sudan after enduring days of agony in the foreign nation.
The 47 evacuees were safely airlifted from war torn Bor town to Juba before being transported by road to Uganda ahead of their arrival in Nairobi on Sunday evening.
Amid the arrivals, Devolution principal secretary, John Konchella, called upon all Kenyan citizens living in foreign nations to register with the Kenyan Embassy in the respective countries.
Konchella further said the evacuees would be given KES 2,000 as fares to their respective homes.
“We are paying KES 2000 per head. It is quite an exercise for us to know how many Kenyans are in South Sudan,” added Konchella.
The returnees narrated their ordeals in the warring nation with businesspersons complaining of huge losses following a series of looting incidents that followed the outbreak of the civil war last month.
Reports indicate that four Kenyans have died from the war with thousands of others opting to remain in the country.
Thousands of Kenyans are said to have sneaked into the warring South Sudan via Uganda and have not registered with the Kenyan Embassy in the country, which government said made it difficult to ascertain the exact number of Kenyans in that country.
The evacuation come amid ongoing talks that seek to put an end to hostilities in the neighbouring country.
– CA News