Kibaki appeals for calm after ICC charges
24 January 2012, 12:28
Nairobi - President Mwai Kibaki urged fellow Kenyans
on Monday to remain calm after the International Criminal Court
confirmed charges against four prominent figures over post-election
violence four years ago.
"I appeal to everyone to remain calm and
peaceful. Our great nation has had its share of challenging times,"
Kibaki said in a public statement.
The Hague-based ICC said
charges of crimes against humanity had been confirmed against
presidential hopefuls William Ruto and Uhuru Kenyatta, the son of the
country's founding president.
Two other Kenyans, radio host
Joshua arap Sang, 36, and Francis Muthaura, the head of Kenya's civil
service, will also face trial.
"I have with immediate effect
instructed the attorney general to institute a legal team to study the
ruling and advise on the way forward," Kibaki said.
promised to "fast-track efforts" to support the thousands still living
in basic conditions in displaced peoples camps, four years since by the
violence that forced about 300 000 people from their homes.
"Let us move our country forward," Kibaki said.
chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo was allowed in March 2010 to
investigate six Kenyans, three of them aligned with Kibaki's Party of
National Unity and three who supported the opposition Orange Democratic
Movement of Raila Odinga, now the prime minister in a coalition
Charges were dropped against former industrialisation minister Henry Kosgey and former police chief Muhammed Hussein Ali.