Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Kenyan leaders from restive Mandera vow to stabilize security

04 December 2014, 19:02

Nairobi - Kenyan leaders from northern region on Thursday vowed to fully support all actions by government to secure peace and protect citizens against the threats of terror.

A statement issued in Nairobi after a meeting between the leaders and President Uhuru Kenyatta said the leaders, including senators, governors and lawmakers, called for strong action to reduce the threats posed by Al-Shabaab terrorists to the country.

"We are giving our commitment to support any action the government takes to bring law and order," said Mandera County Governor Ali Roba.

The second Mandera massacre happened on Tuesday in which 36 people were killed by Al-Shabaab militants, who also claimed responsibility for the killing of 28 people in November in the county.] Speaking in Nairobi, Mandera governor said the tactic by the terrorists to target non-Muslims was a plot to create conflict between Kenyan communities.

Also read: MP wants County Commissioners given more powers

He urged Kenyans not to be divided by the evil which the terrorists are propagating. "The best we can do right now is to stand together as Kenyans," Roba said, adding the terrorists do not represent Muslims and are criminals who are fighting all Kenyans.

Lawmaker Mohamed M Mohamud, who is also the chairman of the Mandera political leaders' forum, said the war being waged by terrorists was not against Christians alone but against all Kenyans.

"They claim they are killing in the name of religion but this is not true. We affirm our commitment to work with Government to deal with these criminals," he said.

This comes after Deputy President William Ruto admitted on Wednesday that the second Mandera attack in which 36 quarry workers were killed by Al-Shabaab "was a failure on our part as a government", noting however that the quarry workers had been asked to move to a safer place.

"I wish the government would have forced the workers to move out of that mining area, however, we will still make legal and structural changes to improve the security system in our country," Ruto said.

Ruto assured that the government is tackling the insecurity situation in the country and will make use of all resources available.

He said the government is working with Amisom partners to secure Kenya's borders, saying incompetence in the government will not be tolerated. He also said that the government is reorganizing the country's security agencies.

Ruto said Kenyans share the responsibility of making the country safe for all. "There are matters that go beyond individuals, there are moments that we need to stand together to defeat our enemies," he said.


- Xinhua


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Uhuru Kenyatta's bag of goodies t...

He promised to go back with more goodies next week. Read more...

Submitted by
Solomon Opala
Are women after money only

Many feel that it takes only a fat wallet to please a woman. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Kalonzo says he will defeat UhuRu...

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has expressed confidence that he will send the Jubilee government home in the upcoming Presidential election. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Why Caffeine Is Used for Weight L...

The following are the reasons why caffeine is used for weight loss. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What guys want in relationships

Here are the top four things guys need in a relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
EACC recovers KES3.5 million stol...

EACC has recovered KES 3.5 million stolen from Mukurwe-ini Constituency Development Fund (CDF) by former committee members managing the kitty. Read more...