Kenya allocates 100 mln USD to promote tourism sector
26 October 2015, 21:30
Nairobi - The Kenyan government has
allocated 100 million U.S. dollars to boost the tourist sector, up from the
previously budgeted 50 million dollars.
Cabinet Secretary for Commerce and Tourism, Phyllis Kandie, on
Monday told a media briefing in Nairobi that the funds would be used mainly to
promote Kenya as a "safe tourism destination".
"The funds will be spent to improve Kenya's image
abroad in the key source markets as well as in the emerging tourism source markets,"
The return of the German airline Lufthansa's business in
Kenya after a 18-year hiatus was announced at the media briefing.
A day earlier, Kandie told a forum that Kenya's tourism
sector has started to recover two years after a shooting at Westgate shopping
mall in Nairobi that killed at least 67.
Also read: Nairobi
matatu guru shot dead
Somalia-based Islamist group Al-Shabaab masterminded the
attack after which several Western countries, including Britain and the U.S.,
issued travel warnings for Kenya.
Kandie said Kenya experienced a tough period after the
attack as hundreds of jobs were lost and the image of the country dented.
She told reporters tourism was important to Kenya's economy
and the government was committed to reverse the decline.
Kenya Tourism Board managing director Muriithi Ndegwa
described diversifying the sources of tourists to reduce reliance on
traditional markets as key in the recovery plan.
"We are increasing our marketing efforts in emerging
markets such as China, India and the Middle East," Ndegwa said.
Early this year, Britain lifted its warning against
travelling to part of Kenya's coast.