Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Kenya Pipeline boss defends controversial tender award

08 July 2014, 19:35 Victor Tinto

Nairobi - Kenya Pipeline Company KPC CEO Charles Tanui has defended his organization from any wrong doing in the KES 43 billion pipeline tender award to a Lebanese firm.

Tanui says that the award was above water and that he was ready and willing to answer any questions concerning the award.

He also added that the tender had been contested in court and found to be in order, as well as probed and passed by the Public Accounts Procurement Committee.

Tanui was speaking before parliament's Public Investments Commitee PIC Tuesday while making the remarks.

He said that the tender, which was awarded to Zakhem LTD was clean and that the firm had provided the lowest bid as well as the best options for after-service as well as technology.

" I would like to kindly state that the bid launched by Zakhem was the best in terms of price, after cost as well as technology available, he said.

He said that a lower bid provided by China Wu Yi company was not considered because they did not have the technical skill to do the job.

" Please note that the bid was within price range but did not provide as good technical assistance and terms as the one from Zakhem, he added.

Parliament is probing the deal after it emerged that there were several complaints about the tender award and its feasibility.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on
 Twitter and like our Facebook page!

Tags pic

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...