Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


ICC reject change of venue for cases

06 September 2013, 14:30

The Hague - The commencement of the trial against Deputy President William Ruto and radio presenter Joshua Arap Sang will take place in The Hague, Netherlands, after the ICC rejected a request by the two to move their cases to be heard in either Kenya or Tanzania.

The three judge bench made its ruling after  a thorough and exhaustive discussion that beared in mind the observations of all the parties and participants, the ICC Registry's assessment as well as the positions of the relevant national authorities, The Standard reports.

As much as the Judges, in principle are in favour of bringing the ICC's proceedings closer to the affected communities, factors such as security, the cost of holding proceedings outside The Hague, the potential impact on victims and witnesses, the length of the proceedings to be held away from the seat of the Court weighed heavily on its decision.

Also the potential impact on the perception of the Court and the impact on the Court's ability to conduct and support other proceedings that are taking place simultaneously at the seat of the Court.

There will be a, status conference on Monday, just a day before the trials against Ruto and his co-accused Joshua Arap Sang officially begins, on 10 September 2013, in the presence of the accused.

- For more visit The Standard

Join in the conversation on our Facebook page. Also get the latest news by following us on Twitter.

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...