ICC prosecutor applies for withdrawal of witness
16 May 2014, 11:26
Nairobi - The Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (ICC) Thursday made an application to withdraw a witness from testifying in the case against Deputy President William Ruto, a move that could see the case adjourned to June.
According to the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP), the witness, who was scheduled to testify on Friday, could not clearly recall what the Prosecution intended to use against Ruto and his co-accused Joshua Sang, during the witness preparation session, The Standard reports.
However, Ruto’s defence team opposed the application saying they should be given a video recording that was taken during the exercise that was conducted on Wednesday.
Fatou Bensouda, the Chief Prosecutor at the ICC said she was facing hurdles related to witnesses in the case.
Bensouda who was speaking on the status of Ruto’s case at a news conference at the United Nations headquarters said witnesses do not want to come forward or change their minds at the last minute.
She also revealed that she will soon be meeting with Attorney General Githu Muigai as her office tries to access President Uhuru Kenyatta’s financial records before the start of his trial in October.
Some witnesses have already pulled out of Uhuru's case claiming they had been intimidated, with some saying that they had been coached to give false evidence.
- For more visit The Standard
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!