Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


ICC judges issue ultimatum in Uhuru case

03 December 2014, 22:56

The Hague — International Criminal Court judges on Wednesday ordered prosecutors to indicate within a week whether the trial of Kenya's president can start or if all charges against him should be dropped.

The order could signal the impending end of the case against President Uhuru Kenyatta, who is charged with involvement in deadly violence that erupted after his country's 2007 presidential elections.

Prosecutors have, in the past, acknowledged that their evidence is not strong enough to proceed to trial and have accused Kenyan authorities of failing to cooperate with their investigations.

Kenyatta is charged as an "indirect co-perpetrator" with murder, deportation, rape, persecution and inhumane acts allegedly carried out during violence that left more than 1,000 people dead after the 2007 election. Kenyatta insists he is innocent.

Also read: ICC gives Bensouda 1 week to either drop or proceed with Uhuru trial

The case against him has been beset by problems and delays, with prosecution witnesses refusing to testify or recanting their statements.

The prosecution asked judges earlier this year to adjourn the case indefinitely until Kenya fully cooperates in its investigation. Judges on Wednesday rejected that request and instead ordered prosecutors to tell them if the case can go ahead now.

The court's prosecution office said in a written reaction that it was studying the decision.

Kenyatta would be the first sitting head of state to stand trial at the International Criminal Court, if his case goes ahead.

At a hearing in October, prosecution lawyer Benjamin Gumpert claimed Kenyan authorities were stymieing investigations and warned that scrapping the case would send a worrying message to other government leaders who could face prosecutions in the future.

Gumpert said such a decision would be interpreted as "the court saying that if a country sticks out for long enough obstructing proper inquiries being made by the prosecution ... then the case ... will go away."

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...