Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


ICC: 20 PEV victims have pulled out of Ruto's case

15 November 2013, 07:46

The Hague - A group of 20 victims of post-election violence that rocked Kenya almost six years ago have withdrawn from The Hague-based case against Deputy  President William Ruto, the International Criminal Court said on Thursday.

"It is clear that 20 individuals...," told their lawyer before the ICC "that they no longer wish to continue participating in the present proceedings," the court's judges said.

They added: "The decision to withdraw could have been motivated by a range of factors including security concerns."

The court's confirmation comes after it received a letter in early June by 93 victims who allegedly said they wanted to stop participation in the two cases before the ICC.

Ruto and President Uhuru Kenyatta are both charged with crimes against humanity in connection with 2007-8 post-poll violence that left over 1,000 people dead and several hundred thousand displaced.

Ruto went on trial in September, becoming the highest-ranking serving official to do so before the ICC.

President Kenyatta's trial was due to start on Tuesday, but has now been postponed to February.

In the letter dated June 5, the 93 victims of violence in Turbo town in western Kenya said they no longer wish to take part in the trial.

At least four people were murdered in Turbo as a result of the attacks in late 2007, the court heard previously.

Of the 93, 47 were victims in the Ruto trial.

Seven victims changed their minds after the letter was written and will now continue to be represented in the case.

Twenty other victims could not be contacted and were therefore considered to still be taking part, the judges added.

In all, some 628 victims are scheduled to have their case represented before the court by their Kenyan  lawyer Wilfred Nderitu, said ICC spokesman Fadi El Abdallah.

Ruto, 46, and former radio presenter Joshua Arap Sang, 38, stand accused of stoking the worst violence in the country since independence in 1963.

The ICC, the world's first independent court set up to try the worst crimes, allows victims to take part in trials independent from the prosecution or the defence.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...