High Court blocks police recruitment process
11 August 2014, 13:03
Nairobi - The High Court has blocked the police recruitment process until a court case over the integrity of the process is heard and determined.
The Independent Police Oversight Authority IPOA had gone to court Monday to have the recruitment letters of the 10,000 new recruits put on hold until a case against the whole process is heard.
Justice Hannah Mumbi agreed with the IPOA that the process be stopped until the case filed by IPOA is heard.
She set the date for the hearing on August 20, 2014.
The recruitment process will undergo further scrutiny this week, once an audit by the National Police Service Commision, which has already been completed is released.
NPSC chair Johnstone Kavuludi said Friday that the report will be released Wednesday.
" We will have the report released mid- next week, we assume Wednesday, he said.
He had earlier agreed that the process will be cancelled in the coming weeks, but only in areas where there is seen to have been outright corruption.
" We will cancel the process in areas where we find conclusive evidence that there was corruption as alleged.
That proposition has been dismissed by the IPOA as well as parliament, which wants the process re-done to ensure fairness.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!