Al Shabaab claim Lamu bus ambush, seven dead
19 July 2014, 09:50
Mombasa - Gunmen killed at least seven people when they ambushed a bus along Kenya's northern coast on Friday, a local official said.
Al Shabab on Saturday claimed responsibility for the attack.
The group told AFP by telephone it was "ready
to act or attack anywhere necessary within Kenya" after Friday's
shooting, which left at least seven dead, including four police
About 100 people have been killed in attacks on Kenya's coast since mid-June. Somali Islamist group al Shabaab has claimed responsibility for many of them but the government has suggested local politicians were also behind them.
The attacks near Lamu, an ancient trading port and tourist resort, have damaged Kenya's tourism industry and heightened volatility in a region where local communities have a history of conflict over land, water and other resources.
Daniel Kahosho, head of Kenya Police Reservists in Mpeketoni in Lamu County, told Reuters the gunmen blocked the bus with their car and then sprayed it with bullets.
"Two lorries which were carrying mangoes were also attacked and seven people in total have been killed," he said. "We still don't know how many of the passengers may have been hijacked. The bus is riddled with bullets."
Miiri Njenga, Lamu County commissioner, said attackers hijacked the bus near Witu, a small town about 50 km from Lamu. It had been on way to Lamu from the tourist resort of Malindi, some 220 km further south.
Hundreds of families have fled the area despite government assurances that the attacks will soon end. Kenya has drafted its army to help fight the attackers who are believed to be hiding in forests around Lamu County.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!