Govt to bolster security despite emerging challenges
03 November 2014, 09:33
Nairobi - Deputy President William Ruto said on Sunday the government will work with Kenyans to confront security challenges despite recent surge in criminal acts across the country.
Ruto said security matters were a collective responsibility where everybody must participate to get rid of criminal elements, and urged Kenyans to remain vigilant.
"We are improving the police communication system to help them respond to crime within the shortest time possible," he told a joint prayer for disciplined officers and their families in Nairobi.
He said the government has launched a major crackdown on criminals who killed police officers and civilians in clash-hit Kapedo of Northwest Kenya's Turkana County.
"We want to tell those who participated in the killing of the police officers and innocent people that they will not escape. We will catch up with them," Ruto warned, adding the government will mobilize resources to ensure all those behind acts of lawlessness face the full force of the law.
Also read:Uhuru urges calm as Turkana toll rises to 22
Ruto's remarks come after armed raiders killed more than 20 police officers and 3 civilians in an ambush as they pursued Pokot raiders in Kapedo. The attack is the worst since 2012 when at least 42 police officers were massacred by bandits in Baragoi.
Residents said soldiers were deployed on Sunday night hours after President Uhuru Kenyatta issued an ultimatum for pastoralists in the area to flush out bandits.
"I want to tell those who want to test the metal Kenya is made of, local or foreign, terrorists, cattle rustlers and other criminals, that we are going to mobilize every resource to make sure that we bring them to book to answer every act they committed, " Ruto warned.
The deputy president said no person or any group of persons will be allowed to hold the country at ransom.
He said the government appreciates the role played by the police in ensuring the security for Kenyans and their property and noted that efforts were being made to boost their morale.
He said the National Police Service has been directed to create a career progression framework for officers to enable them to move up after a given period, saying some officers retired at the rank of constable even if they were hardworking officers.
"We want a situation where between three, four or five years a constable who does not have disciplinary problems should be promoted to the next rank," he said.
The deputy president said beginning January next year, the government will put up 25,000 decent houses for police officers. He also said the government last year purchased 1,200 vehicles for police, and another 1,500 motor vehicles will be purchased this year to help police in containing insecurity.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!