Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Government vows to hunt for terror suspects behind wave of insecurity

01 April 2014, 20:13

Nairobi - The government on Tuesday vowed to enhance ongoing security operation countrywide until all terror suspects behind the recent wave of insecurity incidents are arrested and brought to justice.

Cabinet Secretary in charge of Internal Security Joseph Ole Lenku also clarified that there were three devices which were detonated in Eastleigh residential estate on Monday night.

He said the blast killed six people and injured 31 others who had been rushed to various hospitals for treatment. He said six people are still admitted at the hospitals while the rest have been discharged.

"The operation will continue until all criminal suspects and perpetrators of this terror are brought to book," Lenku vowed, adding that some 657 suspects have been rounded up in a security operation in Eastleigh suburb, which is largely inhabited by Kenyans of Somali origin.

The cabinet secretary called on Kenyans to cooperate with security personnel by providing crucial information that will assist them in the security operation.

"This act of cowardice perpetrator against innocent and peace loving Kenyans who were going about their normal activities is barbaric and immediate action has been taken by our security agencies and so far 657 suspects have been apprehended in Eastleigh," he said.

The port city of Mombasa, the capital Nairobi and other parts of Kenya have suffered a series of grenade attacks since Kenya sent troops into Somalia last year to try to subdue Al-Shabaab insurgents it blames for a surge in violence and kidnappings threatening tourism.

The Kenyan soldiers in the UN-backed AU force has intensified their offensive against the Al-Qaida allied terrorist group, pacifying some of the areas surrounding the capital including the strategic city of Kismayo amid reports the militants were now headed to Gedo region near the border with Kenya.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
4 ways to handle your cheating ma...

He is cheating. How do you handle him?

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Wizkid set for twin Kenyan shows

Wizkid is back in Kenya. For two shows.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Uhuru pardons 2747 death row conv...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has pardoned a number of death row convicts, sending them to life sentences instead. Read more...

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?