Government mum on terror suspects' identity
30 September 2013, 13:48
Nairobi - Government officials refused to reveal the identity of the suspects that are in custody for last week’s terror attacks at Westgate shopping mall.
Nine suspects are in custody after their arrest for allegedly carrying out the attacks at the upmarket mall.
“These suspects are held under the counter-terrorism law and thus their identities or nationalism cannot be revealed”, said Interior Affairs Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku.
Lenku added that it was pre-mature to release the identities of the suspects as the move could jeopardize the on-going joint forensic investigations.
He instead urged Kenyans to be patient with the ongoing investigations that he said would help reveal the identities and nationality of the alleged terrorists.
Lenku’s sentiments followed Sunday’s meeting at Harambee House in the capital.
Top security personnel including, military chief, General Julius Karangi, Raychelle Omamo defence general and police boss, David Kimaiyo, who was in the company of his deputies, boss Francis Muhoro, spymaster Michael Gichangi and Mutea Iringo, the interior principle secretary attended the meeting.
The meeting came in the wake of a blame game over who is to take responsibility over the Westgate terror attack.
More than 60 people were killed in the attacks in Nairobi.
The Al Shabaab group has claimed responsibility of the attacks.
It is reported the attacks are in retaliation to the Kenyan army’s presence in their country.
- CAJ News