Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Four appear in court over Westgate attack

11 November 2013, 14:46

Nairobi - Four men charged in connection with Westgate mall massacre in September appeared in court on Monday, with defence lawyers and prosecutors arguing over if they should be granted bail.

All four have pleaded not guilty to the charges of "supporting a terrorist group", as well as entering Kenya illegally and obtaining false identification documents. The Westgate attack, which left at least 67 people dead, was claimed by Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Al Shabaab rebels.

The four suspects, none of whom are accused of being the gunmen in the mall, are Mohammed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah, Adan Adan and Hussein Hassan. They are all ethnic Somalis but it is unclear if they are Somali or Kenyan nationals.

"The prosecution must come with a strong and convincing case for why these people should conduct their trial while in custody," defence lawyer Mbugua Mureithi told the court.

The defence is expected to present further arguments during the week on why bail should be granted.

The court ruled that initial hearings would commence on December 19, although the trial is not expected to begin in earnest until late January.

All the gunmen in the Westgate attack -- totalling just four, not the dozen that security forces had initially reported -- are understood to have died during the four-day siege.

Interpol is assisting Kenya in trying to identify four bodies suspected to be those of the gunmen.

Witnesses in the mall described how the fighters stormed the crowded complex, firing from the hip and hurling grenades at shoppers and staff.

The Kenyan Red Cross has said some 20 people are still missing, and there are fears more bodies could be found in the wreckage of the mall.

Following the attack, the Al Shabaab threatened further attacks after Kenya refused to pull its troops out of Somalia, warning that "rivers of blood will flow in Nairobi."

Kenya invaded southern Somalia to attack Al Shabaab bases two years ago, and later joined the 17,700-strong African Union force deployed in the country.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...