DPP sends team to Mombasa to probe Lamu/Mpeketoni cases
10 July 2014, 13:44
Nairobi - The Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko is taking the cases over the Lamu and Mpeketoni massacres seriously by sending a team of prosecutors from Nairobi to Mombasa.
The cases in Mombasa have so far seen three people charged in court over offences relating to attacks in the larger Lamu County as well as Tana River and which have seen over 100 people killed.
Lamu governor Issa Timamy and renowned businessman Mahadi Swaleh have so far been charged with the deaths.
Tobiko says his office has sent over ten prosecutors to Mombasa to probe the cases and has said more support will be provided if need be.
" These are serious cases and we have so far sent over ten prosecutors to Mombasa to aid in the prosecution of the cases, he said Thursday in Nairobi.
" Here, we have cases of national importance and we thus have to ensure that the utmost care and professionalism is put in handling the cases, he added.
He did also insist that the cases before them showed well planned and organized attacks.
" They showed prior planning and at that, it was very good planning and execution, he said.
So far, Timamy and Swaleh have both denied the charges leveled against them, with Timamy insisting that they are fabricated and that he will prove his innocence.
On his part, Swaleh says that he has also been framed over the attacks and has vowed to prove his innocence.
Over 100 suspects have also been arrested over the attacks and are expected to be charged in court once investigators put up valid cases against them.