Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Court charges 70 people of being members of al Shabaab

12 February 2014, 18:53

Mombasa - A court on Wednesday charged 70 people with being members of Somali militant group al Shabaab, after they were arrested during a police raid on a mosque that sparked days of rioting in Mombasa.

The 70 denied being members of the Islamist group, which is linked to al Qaeda, and others relating to terrorism, possession of arms, robbery and incitement to violence in a crowded courtroom 10 km (six miles) outside the port city.

They were arrested when armed policemen swooped on the Masjid Mussa mosque in Mombasa on Feb. 2, saying they had information that Muslim youths were being recruited there for militant attacks.

Police said three people were killed in the raid, and recovered an AK 47 rifle, ammunition, swords, knives, video discs and flags which they said bore the symbols of al Shabaab.

They arrested 129 suspects, but released 21 after a court declared them minors, and a further 33 against whom the court found no evidence.

Police said four others had been hospitalised with injuries sustained in the raid, and that one detainee was still being held for interrogation and could be charged with the murder of a police officer during the raid.

The 70 accused were ordered held in custody until Feb. 26 when a ruling on their applications for bail will be issued.

The government has vowed to break up militant networks in a bid to end attacks mounted in retaliation against Kenya for sending troops to Somalia to fight al Shabaab. Gunmen belonging to the group killed at least 67 people in a Nairobi shopping mall in September.

The government has said it will not allow places of worship to be used to radicalise young people.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...