Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Mandera attack: Attackers 'sprayed' gunfire at tents

02 December 2014, 11:07

Nairobi - Gunmen have massacred at least 36 workers at a quarry in a fresh attack in troubled northeast Kenya, police and the Red Cross said on Tuesday, the latest in a series of attacks.

The attackers reportedly sprayed gunfire at tents where the workers were sleeping in the early hours of Tuesday morning near the town of Mandera, where Somalia's al-Qaeda-affiliated Shabaab and other militia have carried out a string of raids, Kenyan media said.

The quarry killings follow a separate attack on Monday night in the town of Wajir - which like Mandera is close to the dangerous border with war-torn Somalia - which left one person dead and 12 wounded when gunmen hurled grenades and fired into a bar.

"Our team is on the ground undertaking assessments of the attack," the Kenya Red Cross said on Tuesday.

Police spokesperson Zipporah Mboroki confirmed the attacks but said the force would provide exact tolls of those killed later.

Fears others may have been abducted

However, a senior police official said 36 people had been killed and there were fears others may have been abducted.

"We have lost 36 people, but there are others missing," said the police official, who asked not to be named. "We don't know whether they were taken by the attackers."

The quarry attack, about 15km from the remote town of Mandera, is close to where Islamists last month executed 28 non-Muslims who were grabbed from a bus.

The Shabaab said the bus attack was carried out in revenge for police raids on mosques in Kenya's key port of Mombasa.

Kenya has suffered a series of attacks since invading Somalia in 2011 to attack the Shebab. Kenyan forces have since joined an African Union force battling the Islamists.

No one has so far claimed responsibility for either of the attacks overnight Monday to Tuesday.


Several key unions including for civil servants have warned members to leave the restive northeast until the government can ensure their safety.

Professionals working in the largely Muslim and ethnic Somali north-eastern regions often come from further south in Kenya, where Christians make up about 80 percent of the population.

Those working in the quarry attacked on Tuesday were also reported to have been from outside the region.

On Sunday, Kenyan media reported that the embattled interior minister and police chief may soon be sacked over "repeated lapses" in security following a wave of attacks.

Both officials mentioned in the report have been under fire since last year's attack by the Shabaab against the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, in which at least 67 people were killed in a siege involving just four gunmen and which lasted four days.

Worries over internal security mounted when Shabaab rebels massacred 100 people in a string of raids against villages in the Lamu region on the Kenyan coast in June and July.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...