52 hospitalised after consuming poisoned meat
02 March 2016, 13:03
Nakuru - 52 people were hospitalized in a dispensary at Soi village, east Pokot district in Baringo County after consuming meat from a cow that had died from a mysterious disease.
The cow is said to have had diarrhea before it died, an eyewitness interviewed by Citizen TV said.
“It had diarrhea before it died. Then they slaughtered it and feasted on its meat. After consuming the meat, people … became as weak as the cow,” he said.
They were admitted at the nearest Makutani dispensary which is said to be understaffed and lacking sufficient facilities, forcing them to spent the night outside.
Read Also: 10 die after eating dog meat, drinking wine
Doctors had to hang drips on trees and others on windows of the small facility in order to save their lives.
“I have tried to manage these symptoms from Saturday until today,” said a health official at the dispensary, with reports indicating that 37 have already been discharged.
In the neighbouring County of Nakuru, police on Monday busted a cartel that slaughters stolen donkeys and then distributes the meat to butcheries.
It is reported that the uninspected meat is sold across the country, raising serious concerns among health officials over the quality of meat sold to the public.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!