5 million litres of illicit brew destroyed, government says
17 March 2016, 21:36
Nairobi - The government has destroyed over five million litres of illicit brew in the past two weeks, Government spokesperson Eric Kiraithe has said.
In a press briefing on Thursday, The Star reported, Kiraithe said the drive, being led by Interior PS Dr Karanja Kibicho, is meant to destroy cartels involved in the production, distribution and sale of illicit brews across the country.
“The team led by PS Kibicho, with the backing of a multi-agency taskforce comprising of regional coordinators and the administration police has so far covered six counties,” he said.
The counties covered so far are Meru, Kirinyaga, Embu, Tharaka Nithi, Nyeri and Muranga counties.
Kiraithe said that government officials who are found culpable of abetting production and consumption will be fired and prosecuted.
“The government outlawed second generation brews over a year ago and has mounted an aggressive campaign to ensure the resurgence of the liquors is done away with,” he said.
The report comes a day after 10,000 litres of the brew was found in Narok, The Standard reported.
The crackdown led by County Police Commander Jillo Galgalo and his Administration Police (AP) counterpart Musyoki staged a swoop in conjunction with the administration officials and chiefs netted the brews dug underground.
Due to the spirited efforts by the government to fight the manufacturing and selling of illicit brews, illicit brewers have devised ways of evading the hand of the law by concealing the outlawed activities.
It was however shocking to find over 7000 litres of kangara a raw material for making chang'aa dug underground in 100 litre containers some dug underground in the house and others outside the house but were unlucky.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!