Withdrawal of Joho’s bodyguards ill-advised, says Sonko
15 March 2016, 12:12
Nairobi - Nairobi Senator, Mike Sonko has said that Jubilee will be the one to blame if anything bad happens to Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho or his Kilifi counterpart Amason Kingi.
Sonko pleaded with Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery and Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet to return the bodyguards assigned to the two governors, saying the move to have them withdrawn was ill advised.
“Let me say, in my own opinion, it is wrong to withdraw bodyguards of any Governor. I kindly and humbly appeal to Interior CS Hon. Nkaissery and our good IG Boinnet to allow the Mombasa Governor and his Kilifi counterpart to have bodyguards of their choice as they await the fate of the withdrawn bodyguards over claims of assault in Malindi during the by-election.
Read Also: Jubilee MPs vow to push for Nkaissery ouster over misuse of power
“Reasons should anything bad happen to them (Lord forbid), the blame will be squarely put on us, the Jubilee Administration,” Sonko said in a statement on Tuesday.
Police headquarters however said not all officers assigned to the two governors had been withdrawn.
The Interior CS said the development was part of the re-organization of security for all the 47 governors in the country, where each Governor will be assigned five security officers instead of the current 15.
Nkaissery also ordered Joho to surrender all licensed firearms in his procession.
Joho protested the move terming it as political.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.