When it comes to dating, age is not just a number
05 October 2016, 13:30
This is why you should completely avoid dating someone who is older than you:
1. Misunderstanding. When you are older than your partner, there is always the issue of generation gap and different levels of maturity.
2. Stigma. A good example is when an older woman dates a younger man. The society interprets such age gap relationships as being driven by money and material gain. The younger man is likely to be ridiculed by his peers, who view him as a gold digger chasing after the money of an older woman. This stigma can lead to social isolation and even low self esteem.
3. Abuse. If the age gap is too wide, the elder partner tends to exercise more control over the younger partner, leading to relationships similar to child-parent relationships. The cougar or sponsor will always feel the need to beat you to instill discipline.
4. Insecurity. Your partner may indulge in behavior that is not justified by your peers, and even be excessively jealous leading to unnecessary insecurity.
5. Infidelity. The insecurity raised by age gap relationships is likely to lead to infidelity and other related relationship woes. If your partner is spending too much time with peers, they are likely to cheat.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.