TSC clears teachers of caning allegations
29 February 2016, 15:43
akamega - The Teachers Service Commission has cleared teachers at Keveye Girls High School of any punishment following a video that leaked online, of teachers purportedly caning students.
TSC county director Stephen Mudho said the committees investigating the case found out the video had lots of malice in it and could not be authenticated.
“We have established that the video was not in the best interest of the school,” Mudho said.
The director noted no action will consequently be taken against the teachers but asked other teachers to refrain from inflicting unnecessary pain on students.
The video prompted Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i to make an impromptu visit to the school on Thursday last week where he said he had been impressed by the level of discipline at the place.
“To be honest, there is a little bit of exaggeration regarding the video that is circulating on social media,” Matiang’i had said.
Matiang’i said the good performance at the school was a clear indication of how disciplined the students were and promised to come back to spend more time with them.
The school’s Board of Management vice chair Elias Onyango, while addressing journalists at the school after holding meeting with county education officers, said the video had exhaustively been discussed.
“The posting of the video has created a lot of panic among parents who have entrusted their daughters with this school,” he said.
He added, “We would like to appeal for calm and assure parents that their daughters are safe, happy and learning. Even when the Cabinet Secretary arrived on Thursday, he found the school running and its programmes in place.”
He noted that if the school could have been in panic mode, the CS would have not met the serene learning environment he was greeted with upon his arrival.
He said a school that performs at their level with a high mean score of 10.354 is bound to attract detractors.
“The Board will do all in its power to ensure that it gets to the bottom line of the incident,” he said.
The principal, Judith Ngome, said if the purported teacher who posted the video online had the interests of the school at heart, he would have first of all approached the Board and if action had not been taken then he would have reported to the ministry of education.
“I’m always in this school up to very late hours of the night solving issues to do with the students. If there was such a problem in this school, the Board would have acted swiftly,” said Ngome.
She noted the school has a huge population of over 1300 students, because its performance has been improving every year.
“Right now, I do not even have a single chance for a new student in the school because classes are very congested,” she said.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.