Teachers arraigned for defiling 9-year-old pupil repeatedly
27 July 2016, 19:16
Nairobi - A courtroom at Isiolo Law Courts was Wednesday packed to capacity of parents and pupils as two teachers were arraigned on accusations of repeatedly defiling a Standard Four pupil.
Appearing before Resident magistrate Joan Irura, the two youthful teachers Paul Murithi Njeru, 24 and Nicholas Mwirigi Mithika, 26, denied committing the offence.
They were charged that on diverse dates between July 2 and July 21, this year at Little Angels Primary School in Isiolo town, jointly, they had been defiling a 9-year-old girl.
They were also each faced with an alternative count of practicing an indecent act with a minor.
On the second count, they were charged with drugging the pupil before they could repeatedly defile her.
The court heard that the accused persons intentionally caused a concoction to be inhaled by the minor and stupefying her so as to enable them engage in sexual activities with her.
“You intentionally administered a substance with intent to stupefy her before engaging in sex with her,” read part of the charge sheet.
The prosecution prayed court to remand the suspects saying investigations were still ongoing.
Lawyer Jalson Makori for the prosecution opposed the accused being granted bail stating that they would interfere with the prosecution witnesses most of whom are the pupils they teach.
“We pray that they be remanded in custody for seven days before the court can decide if to release them on bail,” said Makori.
He further told the court that tension was high outside and freeing the accused could compromise their security.
Lawyer Njenga Waceke, appearing for the suspects, unsuccessfully pleaded with the court to release the teachers.
While allowing the prosecution application, the magistrate ordered that the teachers be remanded at Isiolo police station for seven days.
“Having heard the statements of the senior prosecution counsel opposing the accused to be released on bail and having considered the reasons advanced, I have seen it is fair that the investigations be completed before the accused are granted bail,” said the court.
The case was scheduled to be mentioned on August 3, this year.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.