Student loses eyesight after drinking ethanol in school laboratory
07 October 2016, 08:23
Nyeri - A form four student was admitted at Othaya District Hospital after losing his eyesight after drinking ethanol in a school laboratory.
The 16-year-old boy, a student at Kenyatta Mahiga Secondary School took the reagents during a Chemistry practical lesson Thursday.
Doctors at the health facility are trying to restore his eyesight.
Speaking at his hospital bed, the student said he drunk the reagent alongside other students but he was the major casualty.
His mother, Martha Wairimu, explained that she was notified about the incident late by the school administration, adding that the teachers took long time before taking him to the hospital.
Wairimu said she will transfer her son from the school saying the incident was caused by negligence.
Doctor Joseph Gichui, who is handling the case at the hospital, confirmed that the young man could not see.
He however expressed hope that the student will recover, lamenting that should he have been taken to the hospital early.
The school Principal, Onesmus Mwangi said the student was last term expelled from the school for two weeks over indiscipline.
He denied failing to receive phone calls from the student’s parent saying they were in regular communication since the incident occurred.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.