Signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance in women
22 September 2016, 11:36
Common signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance in women include:
1. Vaginal Dryness. The reduction of estrogen levels causes changes to the vaginal wall. This can cause vaginal dryness, which can make sex uncomfortable.
2. Breast Changes. High levels of estrogen can make breasts feel tender and sore, which could lead to lumps, fibroids, and cysts. Get to know your breasts by getting into the habit of checking yourself for lumps or anything unusual.
3. Persistent Acne. If you suffer from deep, cystic acne all the time, then androgens (male hormones such as testosterone) could be the culprit. Testosterone stimulates excess production of sebum (oil), which then gets trapped underneath the skin and merges with acne-causing bacteria and dead skin cells. That leads to clogged pores, pimples, and blemishes. The higher a woman’s testosterone levels, the worse the breakout.
Read Also: When it comes to men, I am always poor
4. Sleep Disorders. Many women find it hard to fall asleep mainly just before their period. This may be due to the sharp drop in hormone progesterone just before menstruation.
5. Forgetfulness. Are you forgetting things - such as where you put your purse, or what time you’re meant to meet your friend? You could be having hormonal issues. If you’ve been experiencing a high amount of stress recently, then your body will be producing high levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Studies suggest that consistently high levels of cortisol can hamper your learning ability and memory.
6. Constant Fatigue. We all have days when we’re too tired to do anything but sleep. However, if you feel exhausted every day, you could be suffering from a lack of a thyroid hormone, a condition called hypothyroidism.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.