Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


MyNews24 is a user-generated section of News24 Kenya. The stories here come from users.

Latest Badges:

View all Babake Manuel's badges.

Seven years imprisonment for three who kidnapped 3 year old girl

12 August 2016, 20:51 Babake Manuel

Nairobi - Three people have been sentenced to serve seven years imprisonment by a Nyahururu court for kidnapping a three year old child.

Resident Magistrate Ms Alice Mukenga sentenced, Ms Shivonpie Wairimu Wambui, her brother Mr Gideon Mutunga Gikuni and Ms Veronica Njeri without an option of fine after they were found guilty of kidnapping the baby girl in Nyahururu’s Muthaiga estate, Laikipia County on April 8, 2013.

Ms Mukeenga said that the evidence presented to the court by eight witnesses who had testified before the court were sufficient to show that the Ms Wambui and Mr Gikuni were the masterminds of the kidnapping.

She said that though Ms Njeri did not physically participated in the abduction of the child from their house, the child was traced at her house in Gatumbiro village in Nyandarua west.

According to the Magistrate, though the child who had been kidnapped in broad daylight at their house and stayed with the abductors for a week was not able to identify the faces of the kidnappers, the child told the court that a man and a woman who were looking like Ms Wambui and Mr Gikuhi had kidnapped her.

The Magistrate said that she was satisfied that the accused were with their victim and she found them guilty of kidnapping a child under the age of 14 with an intent to steal and take her to unknown destination.

However, the magistrate acquitted the second count that was facing the three of demanding Sh 5 million from Ms Susan Wanjiku Wanyeki who is the victim’s mother saying that the evidence adduced before the court was insufficient to link the three with the charge of demanding ransom from Ms Wanyeki.

In mitigation, Ms Njeri and Ms Wambui pleaded with the court to be lenient to them as they were sole breadwinners of their families, while Mr Gikuni said that he had a young family and the time that the case have been going on was enough to serve as a punishment.

But when delivering the ruling, the magistrate said “I have considered your mitigations and the fact that this is your first criminal record. But the offence of abduction is a serious offence.

“The agony that the parents of the victim suffered during the one week that their child was missing is imaginable and no parent should suffer such a trauma. The fact that the child also experience a trauma in the hands of stranger for a period of one week is also unforgivable,” said Ms Mukenga adding that the accused persons had no expressed remorsefulness for their deeds.

The magistrate approved their application to be supplied with the case proceedings documents so that they can make an appeal.

They were given 14 days to make an appeal.

- MyNews24

Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President renews calls for nation...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on Kenyans to instead focus on unity, cohesion and prosperity as the country approaches the campaigns period. Read more...