Ruto to be released from ICC April 5?
22 March 2016, 18:05
Nairobi - DP William Ruto and journalist Joshua Sang will find out whether they will be released from the ICC trial on crimes against humanity April 5.
The result of their appeal to have charges against them dropped will be announced on the said date.
The two have put in an appeal to have their charges dropped on a no case to answer basis.
Their appeal was boosted recently by the ICC trial chamber stopping the prosecution from using recanted evidence to help in prosecuting the two.
And according to international law experts, the likely-hood is that the DP and Sang will earn release.
" The fact is that the prosecution has said previously that it does not have much evidence past where they are and that is a big problem," lawyer Stanley Githu said.
" Bensouda (Fatou) had pegged all her hopes on the recanted evidence and now that it is gone" there is a potential problem," he added.
The two will be required to be at the ICC in person come 5 April.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.