Pupils hospitalized after eating poisonous fruits
23 June 2016, 15:17
Nairobi - Some eight pupils from Kiangoma Private School in Kirinyaga County were hospitalized at the County Referral Hospital after consuming poisonous wild fruits.
The hospital’s Medical Director Esbon Gaguo said preliminary examinations revealed that the children had eaten poisonous stuff.
The children had been rushed to Baricho health centre by their parents where they were given first aid before being referred to the Referral Hospital for specialized treatment.
“From preliminary examinations, I can confirm that there was food poisoning, but they are being treated and there is nothing to worry about because they are out of danger,” said Gaguo.
He said the children aged between 7 and 11 years started vomiting and complaining of stomachaches before being rushed to hospital.
On their part, the children said they ate the fruits because they were sweet and they did not appear dangerous.
“We ate the fruits because they were so sweet and we thought they were guavas, and at one point we saw that the leaves of the fruits looked like those of a cassava, so we thought they are good for our consumption,” said one of the children at the hospital bed
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.