Mau spokesman charged in Narok court
26 April 2016, 18:03
Narok - Mau Spokesman Joseph Kebenei was arraigned before a Narok Court and charged with two fraud-related offenses on Monday afternoon.
Kebenei was arraigned before Narok Senior Resident Magistrate Allan Sitati charged with defrauding two people; Henry Kimutai Ng’etich and Stephen Kiprotich Kobel of Sh 200,000 and Sh 137,000 respectively by pretending that he had land in Mau forest to sell to them.
He denied the committing the offenses on diverse months between the year 2004 and 2005 in Olololung’a area in Narok South sub county.
Also read: Police teargas CORD supporters as they protest outside IEBC
Kebenei was remanded in custody until this Friday April when his case will be mentioned for the renewal of bond application,
There was a heated exchange in court between the defense counsel David Mungeri and the prosecution after the later vehemently opposed the release of Kebenei on bond saying he was likely to abscond and also interfere with witnesses.
Prosecuting,state-counsel Andrew Mwangi told the court that investigations were not complete and more charges were likely to be preferred against the accused. Kebenei who has been on the security radar for some time now over various issues including organizing people to invade the Mau forest was arrested last week and has been in custody at Narok Police Station.
He was also being sought over the allegations that he was behind the violence last rocked in Olposimoru as on the Narok-Nakuru border in December last year among other issues.
The spokesman was arrested in Salgaa area in Nakuru County on Wednesday in a pub after police officers received information from citizens that he had been spotted there.
He has escaped police dragnet several times.
In February this year, Kebenei had said he was ready turn himself over to the criminal investigation officers to be grilled over the allegations that he was behind the violence last rocked in Olposimoru as on the Narok-Nakuru border in December last year.
The fugitive was believed to have the backing of some powerful people in government in his alleged illegal activities in Mau.
He was since last December been on the security watch as suspected to be the master mind of the Christmas Eve clashes that pitted the Maasai and Kalenjin communities living in the area.
The flare-up was triggered by the killing of two herders and theft of nine heads of cattle stolen in Olposimoru Forest on December 23 last year.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery had ordered his arrest when he toured the troubled area at the height of the flare-ups that lasted several days over allegations that Kebenei commands a militia in the forest and a cache of firearms.
But in his statement in February this year, Kebenei denied that he has never handled any dangerous weapon in his life, in this case guns, and has never involved himself in criminal activities to warrant him dead.
On the issue of Mau Saga, Kebenei had claimed to have been contracted by some political leaders to be a broker of the sale of the land in question and that he has no office and machinery in his home that produces Land Title deeds as alleged by the government and insisted that all those who were moved out of the Mau forest must be compensated.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and likeour Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.