LRA militia leader Gen Joseph Kony calls for resumption of peace talks
10 April 2016, 18:36
Nairobi - Joseph Kony, the commander of the dreaded Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) is calling for the resumption of peace talks between the rebel group and the Ugandan Government.
General Kony said he is open to renewed peace talks and negotiated agreements following the collapse of December 2008 Juba talks, to end the long-running conflict that has taken nearly 30 years.
Speaking to News24 Sunday in Nairobi through LRA Special Peace envoy Brigadier Okello Mission, Kony said he desires to see a peaceful settlement of the issues between him and the government.
"I am calling for the immediate re-opening of unconditional peace talks between LRA and the government of Uganda as a means of resolving the conflict between the two sides," said Kony.
"The only true way forward for Uganda is the peaceful resolution of these conflicts and the acceptance and full participation of all its citizens in the national affairs of the country. But the unequivocal commitment to the peace process talks is a prerequisite," he added.
Brig Okello who was accompanied by LRA spokesman Obonyo Olweny said Gen Kony wants Tanzania to host the peace talks and the government to mediate. He added that the East Africa Legislative Assembly, together with the US government, the United Nations and African Union should also bring the warring parties together.
Kenya and other African countries that had been represented in the collapsed Juba talks, including South Sudan, South Africa, Congo and Mozambique should participate in the process, according to the rebel leader.
"In addition, the Central African Republic which has been hard hit by the conflict, and Ethiopia which has played a significant role in resolving the conflict in South Sudan, should be part of the team," emphasized Kony.
The US government offered a reward of Sh5Billion (USD5million) in April 2013 to anyone with information that will lead to the capture of Gen Kony and two of his top aides, Okot Odhiambo and Dominic Ongwen for committing crimes against Humanity.
Ogwen surrendered to US forces early this year in Central African Republic. He is currently facing charges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) at the Hague, where the court last month confirmed 70 charges against him.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.