Lives lost as health workers down their tools
04 May 2016, 15:50
Busia - A civil society group has given the County government of Busia a seven-day ultimatum to solve the stalemate at the health sector failure to which a legal action will be taken.
Led by the deputy chairperson of Kengele Forum Francis Mukamani, they called upon MCAs and Mps to intervene and save the situation in a bid to save lives.
The group said that they will move to court to sue the County Government under Governor Sospeter Ojaamong's leadership stating that many lives have been lost as a result.
This comes as doctors and health workers in Busia county officially downed their tools on Tuesday to protest against the county government's failure to promote them as agreed late last year.
The medics led by Wilberforce Lusamba told journalists in Busia town that although some of them have received promotion letters, the names and numbers on those letters do not match thus raising doubts over the authenticity of the letters.
The Union branch secretary, Isaiah Omondi said out of the promotion letters they received, 15 were repeated. This, he said, reduced the total number of staff to be promoted by the County Government.
Read Also: Divorce more likely when wives get sick
The strike has paralysed essential services at all public hospitals and health centres across the County.
A spot check by News24 on Wednesday at Busia County Referral hospital revealed that most of the beds in the wards were empty with patients who could not afford to move to other private facilities remaining stranded.
Late last year, the medics went on strike raising a total of 11 grievances.
Four people have reportedly lost their lives.
This comes as casual workers at Alupe Sub County hospital in Teso South have worked for eight months without salary.
Budalangi MP Ababu Namwamba who visited the facility over the weekend said he will follow up the issue but raised concerns over the state of healthcare in the county.
"This is a serious issue. People taking care or patients working on empty stomachs? This is unacceptable. And it confirms what we have been saying that the health sector in this County has totally failed," the legislator stated.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.