Keter ignores EACC summonses over NYS saga
18 February 2016, 15:22
Nairobi – Nandi Hills MP, Alfred Keter has ignored a letter from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) requesting him to appear before it on Friday for interrogation in the ongoing investigations into the National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.
Keter vowed not to appear before the anti-corruption investigators on grounds that he lost confidence in the commission’s secretariat and that he has already initiated a parliamentary process of having them removed.
Part of the EACC letter addressed to Keter and undersigned by the commission’s Director of Investigations, Abdi Mohamud stated that the outspoken Nandi Hills legislator had information that could assist them in probing the KES 791 million looted from NYS.
“We request you to come with any documentary evidence that you may have on the matter. John Lolkoloi, the Deputy Director Forensic Investigations will be available for the said interview and statement recording,” reads the EACC letter.
Read Also: Khalwale beaten out of Senate Committee
However, Keter in his response to the commission raised concerns on why they failed to invite him last year when he came up with an impeachment motion against Waiguru.
He informed EACC commissioners that the inconsistencies and questionable handling of Waiguru’s case forced him to go public in condemning its capability to fight corruption in the nation.
“This prompted me to initiate a petition process touching on some members of your secretariat that I am currently working on. It is due to this active petition before Parliament, therefore that I find not in order for me to appear before your commission for any interview or statement recording,” said Keter.
He challenged EACC to use its independence in conducting investigation from the affidavit by one of the NYS suspects and businesswoman, Josephine Kabura.
“I don’t report to EACC but Parliament. The commission should conduct its independent investigations and I want to inform it that I will not go there because I want its secretariat re-vetted and those who have been taking bribes from suspects removed and prosecuted,” said Keter.
He was addressing journalists at Parliament Buildings.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.