KDF confirms many soldiers missing from Somalia attack
21 January 2016, 15:24
Nairobi - There are many soldiers yet to be accounted for in the aftermath of the attack on a KDF base in Somalia, Chief of Defence Forces Samson Mwathethe.
Mwathethe, in a briefing in Nairobi Thursday, said that the KDF was not sire whether the soldiers could be.
" We are still looking for them. They are somewhere but we are looking and tallying our numbers and then we will come up with a proper report," he said.
He however could not agree or deny reports that as many as 100 soldiers had been killed in the attack.
Read also: WATCH: KDF soldier escapes El Adde attack, murdered at his Baringo home
" I cannot get a specific number for you until we are able to finish the operation and confirm where we are. At the moment I can also not confirm if there were soldiers who were kidnapped or not," he added.
There has been furore by families of the missing and dead over the slow pace of incoming communication over their next of kin and Mwathethe says that they are doing their best.
" We need to use DNA to identify some bodies and we need to be sire we have the correct information before going to the families. We cannot tell them one thing then change all of a sudden. That is not what we want," he added.
Reports indicate that as many as 60 soldiers might have died in the attacks by Shabaab forces on the camp in Al Adde.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.