Jubilee planning to use Eurobond cash for 2017 campaigns
08 December 2015, 14:35
Nakuru - A civil society group has claimed that the Jubilee government is planning to use part of Eurobond cash to fund President Uhuru Kenyatta's 2017 re-election campaign.
The Nakuru-based County to County watch group claimed that only 75% of the Eurobond cash was used to fund government projects while the remaining 25% was stashed in offshore accounts waiting for the 2017 elections.
Speaking Tuesday morning in Nakuru town, the group chairperson Kimotho Daniel said that the Jubilee government cannot account for over KES 140 billion raised from the Eurobond.
Read Also: EACC summons Raila to explain Eurobond saga
"We know Jubilee has set aside part of the Eurobond cash to fund its 2017 campaigns and that money is lying in foreign accounts being held by some proxies on behalf of the government. The truth is that over KES 100 billion is missing," said Kimotho.
"The 2017 election will be money-based and Jubilee is planning to use taxpayers money to bribe taxpayers and we want them to come out clear on this," he added.
Kimotho threatened to mobilise the civil society to reveal all the proxies the government is using to hide the money in offshore accounts, if the government fails to come out clean over the issue.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.