Facebook update led to the murder of 272 people in Juba
13 July 2016, 11:32
Nairobi - It has emerged that last week's deadly fighting in South Sudan that resulted in the loss of over 272 lives was triggered by a false Facebook post.
South Sudan Ambassador to Kenya, Chol Ajongo on Tuesday said that a "false" Facebook post on Vice President Riek Machar account caused the deaths and displacement of thousands of people in the country.
The envoy who spoke at a press briefing in Nairobi said James Gatdet, the Press Secretary of Machar updated that he had been arrested by President Salva Kiir at the palace on Friday.
Read Also: UN: 36 000 displaced in South Sudan
"This misleading information sparked the fight in Juba as forces allied to Machar responded by coming to his rescue," said the Ambassador.
"It was misleading because at that time Machar was locked in a meeting with the President where they were being briefed on security matters," he explained.
According to the Ambassador, it was after soldiers from the Machar led Sudan's People Liberation Army In Opposition (SPLA-IO) read the update that they attacked government forces at the Presidential palace.
"One member of the SPLA-IO tried to force his way to the palace. He was denied access and shot at a guard. That is how the fighting that lasted for several days started," said Ajongo, who clarified that Juba is now calm and peaceful.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.