Blow to suspected Mungiki suspects as court upholds seven-year-imprisonment
14 September 2016, 00:01
Nairobi - Some 23 suspected followers of Mungiki sect have suffered a blow after a Nyeri High Court upheld an earlier ruling slapping each with seven years in prison.
Judge Justice John Mativo dismissed their appeal in which they were seeking to be set free.
The suspects were jailed in June 29, 2011 after they were found guilty of preparing to commit felony and being members of the outlawed group, before lodging the appeal few months later.
They were arrested on April 20, 2009 in various parts of Mathira constituency in possession of crude and dangerous weapons at a road block in Kiamariga on the Nyeri-Karatina highway and others in Karatina town.
Their arrest happened days after 29 people were slashed to death in Gathaithi village allegedly by the Mungiki sect members.
They were each found in possession of weapons including pangas, axes, knives and other metallic weapons.
The court had released them on bond a year later after a successful appeal against the judgment.
However, in defence the suspects said the alleged weapons were farm tools.
The Judge said the case had been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the suspects committed n offence.
“The prosecution proved their case. The evidence was that you were found in possession of crude weapons and you were planning to commit a crime,” said justice Mativo while sending the suspects back to jail.
He added that the prosecution adduced credible witnesses in the case.
He also observed that the offence attracts 15 years in jail but they were handed the minimum of seven years.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.