Kenya’s first ever case to be heard and tried at The Hague based ICC is turning into a near fully fledged soap opera.
From the original list of the infamous HAGUE SIX to HAGUE THREE now, the drama unfolding seemingly has lots of twists and turns in the offing.
While addressing the media, the new prosecutor Bensouda cited insistent failure on the part of the Kenyan Government to furnish her noble office with necessary insights and documentations as a chief hurdle thus the reason for the subsequent request for the court to withdraw all the former charges labelled against one Francis Muthaura.
Early this week, on Monday the 11th of March 2013, anxiety did grip the offices of the ICC when reportedly eight of the crucial witnesses said they will not testify on the case connecting the president elect, Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta with the 2007-2008 Post Election Violence.
Credible sources from the ICC said the eight witnesses claimed they have since forgotten what they had earlier told the court and they were not ready to testify against their President!
It is widely rumoured that the Court’s Prosecutor and her colleagues had a rough time trying to convince the witnesses to agree to testify but majority said they were not ready to testify in July.
In trying to unravel what might have just added up to this latest development, we must go back to 2012 when Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta lobbied for a possible political marriage with William Samoei Ruto.
The success of that much anticipated union did bring together the two major antagonists in as far as the 2007-2008 PEV is concerned: the Kikuyus and the Kalenjins.
It has ever since emerged that the key witnesses might have been effectively coerced into testifying against both Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta and William Samoei Ruto.
A classic example would be that of one of the witnesses (labelled witness number four) meant to testify against the president elect.
It is alleged by the prosecution that he has since accepted bribes, hence compromised!
With the eight key witnesses now out of the bigger picture (and others reported dead under mysterious circumstances), the prosecution team’s case might not add up to anything meaningful in the end.
And just like in the case of former Public Service Commission Head Francis Muthaura, our president elect and his deputy might soon get off the hook of the impending ICC Trials!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.