Will Uhuru go to the Hague after ICC summon?
20 September 2014, 09:53
Nairobi - After it emerged that President Uhuru Kenyatta had been called to head to the Hague by the International Criminal Court ICC, the question is, will he avail himself?
The ICC said Friday it had summoned President Kenyatta to appear before the tribunal over charges his
government has withheld documents requested by prosecutors preparing his
crimes against humanity trial.
Kenyatta, who faces five counts at
the ICC over his alleged role in masterminding election-related
violence in 2007-2008, was ordered to appear on October 8, the
Hague-based court said in a statement.
It would be the first time
Kenyatta has appeared in court, as he has repeatedly argued he needs to
remain in Kenya to fight militants from the Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab
group, and manage state affairs.
The ICC said discussion with
Kenyatta, and another hearing a day earlier with a Nairobi
representative, would focus on "the status of cooperation between the
prosecution and the Kenyan government and issues raised in the
prosecution's notice of 5 September 2014".
Read also: ICC again delays Uhuru trial
"A representative of
the Kenyan government is invited to attend the first status conference
and Mr Kenyatta is required to be present at the second status
conference," it said.
And after the announcement was made, the question turned to, will he go there?
The president has fought hard previously to ensure he does not appear before the court, with the country countering efforts to have him there, including heading to the African Union and using the United Nations Security Council to try avail his charges on grounds he is a sitting president.
Political analyst Michael Njenga believes that it will be hard to see Uhuru go to the Hague and that likely a compromise will be reached.
" It is likely that a compromise will be reached between the two sides on his appearance before the court in my view ", he said.
" The president has already appeared via video link previously and I think that if absolutely necessary, he will end up doing the same.
" You see, if he goes now after all the battles that the country has instituted to ensure he does not appear there, it will mean that there has been wasted effort and he will look to be compromised, which I'm sure his team will work hard to prevent, he added.
Read also: Uhuru cleans up Kibera
Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda asked judges to
postpone the trial indefinitely, blaming Kenyan authorities for blocking
access to key evidence that could show Kenyatta had bankrolled the
post-election ethnic violence in which 1,200 people were killed and
600,000 others were displaced.
Without those documents, she said,
there was insufficient grounds to prosecute the powerful East African
leader, prompting his lawyers again to call for the case to be dropped.
has rejected claims it has stonewalled the ICC in refusing to hand over
the documents, including company records, bank statements, records of
land transfers, tax returns, phone records and foreign exchange records.
The ICC also formally postponed the latest opening date -- October 7 -- for Kenyatta's repeatedly delayed trial.
trial of rival-turned-partner, Kenyan Vice President William Ruto, who
faces similar charges -- opened in the Hague in September 2013.
for victims of the 2007-2008 violence have lambasted Nairobi
authorities for a "deliberate policy of obstruction", while Amnesty
International has highlighted the desperation of victims who were
wounded and lost property during the unrest.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.