Wetangula's troubles continue
19 April 2015, 11:54
Nairobi - CORD principal and FORD Kenya leader Moses Wetangula is set to land in more trouble after being seconded for prosecution for bribery.
The CORD principal will likely be prosecuted for bribery after the Registrar of the Supreme Court served the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Speaker of the Senate and the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission with a report of the commission of the election offence of bribery.
This follows a Supreme Court decision on March 17, which affirmed that the Bungoma Senator and CORD co-principal had committed an electoral offence of bribery of voters in the run-up to the March 4, 2013 election.
The said offence ensured he lost the Bungoma Senatorial seat, which he eventually won back last year in a by election.
That said, the new development will likely spell a different case for Wetangula, who has always insisted that he is a victim of political harassment by the Jubilee government.
" The charges leveled against me are politically instigated by some elements in government," he said last ear after the by election victory over Noah Wekesa.
The office of the DPP will likely push for prosecution and the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commision EACC might also have a say in the matter.
" The file is indeed here. We await direction," a source at the DPP's office that did not want to be named told News24 Saturday.
Wetangula was not available for comment after News24 tried to make contact with him to talk about the matter.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.