Wetang'ula confident of recapturing seat
15 November 2013, 11:13
Bungoma - The immediate former Bungoma senator Moses Wetang’ula has expressed confidence that he will win the upcoming by election, a day after a High Court Judge who invalidated his election on September 30, clarified that he did not give an order in his judgment that barred the Ford Kenya leader from contesting his previous position.
Last week, former local government minister Musikari Kombo who successfully petitioned the election of Wetang’ula, filed an application, through his Lawyer Alfred Ndambiri, before a Bungoma High Court challenging the orders that the CORD co-principal used to file an appeal against a court ruling that nullified his election.
During the hearing of the case - that had been certified as urgent - on Wednesday, Judge Francis Gikonyo made it clear that he did not issue orders barring Wetang’ula from contesting in the by-elections slated for December 19.
“To set the record straight and for purposes of clarity, I did not in my judgment delivered on September 30 on the petition filed by Musikari Kombo bar Moses Wetang’ula from contesting in the forthcoming by-election,” said Gikonyo.
Addressing journalists at a Bungoma Hotel on Thursday, Wetang’ula said he was confident that the people of Bungoma will re-elect him since the courts have made it clear that he will be in the ballot paper.
“The court of law made it clear yesterday that I will be on the ballot paper and it is up to the people of Bungoma County to decide, not any court. I am convinced that the County residents will send me back to the Senate. Woe unto those who had expressed interest in the senatorial seat with the conviction that I will be barred,” said Wetang’ula in an apparent swipe at a section of contestants that had been termed as ‘compromise candidates’ in case he was omitted from the ballot .
Wetang’ula opined that the coming mini-election is a chance for the people of Bungoma to shame a section of leaders he called 'stooges of some people in government'.
“Uwanja ni kama soko huru sasa tutaingia kwa fujo kama farasi ya Ngong’ (It is a free political market now; we will carry out our campaigns henceforth with vigour),” said Wetang’ula who revealed that all CORD leaders will pitch tent in the County from next week to drum up support for him.
The official campaign dates, according to the timelines issued by IEBC, commence on November 22 to December 17.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.