'We have made mistakes' Ruto admits
03 December 2014, 15:58
Nairobi - Deputy President William Ruto has admitted mistakes have been made by the government but that they are learning from them.
Ruto and the government have been under pressure all week following incidences of insecurity in the country in recent times and the government's failed response to them.
The DP however says that there is no perfect government and that there is need for perspective amongst Kenyans.
He says that the government knows that the continued lapses in security are damning but says that he and president Uhuru Kenyatta are working hard to ensure they are on top of the situation in future.
" There have been mistakes made and regrettably we have lost the lives of Kenyans. That cannot be a good thing and we are looking to do better in future. We have made and will make changes as we move forward," he said.
Ruto also said that at the end of the day, Kenyans also have the prerogative to help in matters security.
" We also need Kenyans to step in and help out. They are the custodians of the country. They are the ones who are our keepers. If they help us, we will help each other. It can not only be the government's work," he added.
Police confirmed that at least 36 people were killed early Tuesday
morning in an attack by suspected Al-Shabaab militants in Mandera.
County Police Commander Noah Mwivanda said the construction workers
were killed at 1 a.m. local time Tuesday (2200 GMT Monday) by a group of
suspected Al-Shabaab gunmen while sleeping at a quarry at Koromey,
about 20 km from Mandera town bordering Somalia.
"So far we have
counted 36 bodies at the scene. The attack is similar to the one in
which 28 people were killed in a bus last month. We have not yet
established the motive behind the latest attack," Mwivanda said.
said initial investigations have revealed that all the construction
workers, all of them men, were killed after being ambushed by heavily
Also read: At least 36 feared dead in Mandera
He said all the deceased were
non locals who were working at a local construction site in the restive
region. No group has claimed responsibility.
Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the bus killings through its radio
station in Somalia, saying it was in retaliation for the raids carried
out by Kenyan security forces earlier in November on four mosques in
Kenyan coastal city Mombasa.
Kenya has witnessed several attacks since 2011 when it participated in fights against the Al-Shabaab militants in Somalia.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.