Warning: No Mpesa over the weekend
17 April 2015, 17:21
Nairobi - There will be no Mpesa services over the weekend, service provider Safaricom has announced. Here are things to know about the upcoming lull.
1. Registration of new customers will not be allowed starting Thursday to Sunday.
2. Transfer of cash to other mobile networks will not be possible during the period.
3. M-Pesa subscribers will not be able to send cash to unregistered users.
4. You will not be able to change your M-Pesa pin while the upgrade is ongoing.
5. Registration of new customers on mobile banking services M-Shawari or M-Kesho will also not be possible, along with borrowing or repaying loans on the services.
6. Starting Saturday, the entire system will shut down and sending or receiving money will not be possible.
7. Customers will not be able to pay their weekend bills in restaurants, supermarkets, petrol stations and pubs over the weekend.
8. Transfer of money from bank To M-Pesa or the reverse will not be possible.
9. You will not be able to pay electricity, water and other utility bills through M-Pesa.
10. Purchasing of airtime through M-Pesa will also not be possible throughout the period of upgrade
The company will be integrating all existing internal systems including security, redundancy and disaster recovery on the new platform. The Central Bank of Kenya and the Communications Authority of Kenya have been provided with oversight over the entire migration process to ensure that Safaricom meets its stated goals with minimal disruption to the customer.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.